Review: Blue Monday by Nicci French




If I belonged to a mystery/thriller book club, Blue Monday would be an excellent choice for the club read. There are so many things going on in this book that would lead to good discussions. Is such and such character really who they claim to be? What is the main character’s real motivation? What is she hiding? There are so many questions and it would be fun to get other opinions, so I’ll be reading other reviews aside from mine. I can’t imagine however that I will read a bad review!

Blue Monday kept me awake until the wee hours on Sunday night and made me late for work (yes, I blame it on the book!) the next morning. Not because I slept in too late but because I picked it up again in the morning and just had to finish those last fifty pages!

The premise is an interesting one: a psychotherapist suspects one of her patients is involved in the disappearance of a young boy. What the therapist does with her suspicions leads the reader on an ever-deepening mystery about what exactly is going on. Meanwhile, the boy is still missing. There are lighter moments too in the form of a builder from the Ukraine. He conveys a humorously solemn feeling to the scenes he is in.

Blue Monday is a must-read for mystery and thriller fans and for those who haven’t tried that genre yet. This book has just the right amount of creepiness. It’s got what I call the ‘chill’ factor in spades: that feeling you get when you thought you knew what was going on but come to the slow realization that there was something else eerily creepy taking place right under your nose. This is an engrossing read and one I highly recommend.

5 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea on March 13, 2012 at 7:07 AM said...

Sounds like a great thriller --- terrific review.

bermudaonion on March 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM said...

I love that you couldn't put it down! It sounds fantastic!

avisannschild on March 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM said...

This one sounds good but it might be too creepy for the likes of me. I'm wary of Nicci French...

Suko on March 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM said...

This is a terrific review! Avis led me here as she noticed that I recently won this book. :)

Marce on March 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM said...

Perfect review, definitely will read this one, upset I didn't accept on Netgalley now.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)