Mailbox Monday




This meme was started by Marcia at The Printed Page and Kristi at The Story Siren. In November, Julie at Knitting and Sundries is hosting MM.



I received two books last week. The first is The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. I really wanted this book and was thrilled to find it on my doorstep! Published by Atria Books (an imprint of Simon & Schuster) The Distant Hours is described on their website:

A long lost letter arrives in the post and Edie Burchill finds herself on a journey to Milderhurst Castle, a great but moldering old house, where the Blythe spinsters live and where her mother was billeted 50 years before as a 13 year old child during WW II. The elder Blythe sisters are twins and have spent most of their lives looking after the third and youngest sister, Juniper, who hasn’t been the same since her fiance jilted her in 1941.

Inside the decaying castle, Edie begins to unravel her mother’s past. But there are other secrets hidden in the stones of Milderhurst, and Edie is about to learn more than she expected. The truth of what happened in ‘the distant hours’ of the past has been waiting a long time for someone to find it.

Morton once again enthralls readers with an atmospheric story featuring unforgettable characters beset by love and circumstance and haunted by memory, that reminds us of the rich power of storytelling.



I've started reading the second book I received because I'm so interested in the topic. I don't read much non-fiction, but I am a foodie and this one really holds my interest. It's An Edible History of Humanity by Tom Standage. I think the title makes it sound as if it's about cannibalism but this book's description on the author's website reads:

There are many ways to look at the past: as a list of important dates, a conveyor belt of kings and queens, a series of rising and falling empires, or a narrative of political, philosophical or technological progress. This book looks at history in another way entirely: as a series of transformations caused, enabled or influenced by food. Throughout history, food has done more than simply provide sustenance. It has acted as a catalyst of social transformation, societal organisation, geopolitical competition, industrial development, military conflict and economic expansion. From prehistory to the present, the stories of these transformations form a narrative that encompasses the whole of human history.

10 comments:

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on November 1, 2010 at 8:04 AM said...

You're right about the second book sounding like it's about cannibalism! I am currently reading The House at Riverton from Kate Morton. It's our book club selection this month. Since I've never read anything written by her before, I"m curious on your take of her new book. Happy reading!

Mary (Bookfan) on November 1, 2010 at 8:22 AM said...

I'm looking forward to reviews of The Distant Hours. Hope you enjoy it!

bermudaonion on November 1, 2010 at 8:45 AM said...

They both look good to me, even though they're so different.

Julie on November 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM said...

I received The Distant Hours the week before last, and I really can't wait to sink my reading teeth into it! Great mailbox!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

Alayne on November 1, 2010 at 1:40 PM said...

I just started The Distant Hours this morning. Happy reading! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

Beth(bookaholicmom) on November 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM said...

I need to read The Distant Hours. I think quite a few of us will be reading it! It seems to have been in many mailboxes.

Staci on November 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM said...

I received Distant Hours too...can't wait to read it! Enjoy!

Mystica on November 2, 2010 at 2:45 AM said...

I am hoping that a giveaway for Distant Hours will come up soon and of course that I win it. The reviews have been so positive on this one!

TheBookGirl on November 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM said...

Like others, I have The Distant Hours waiting to be read...I loved The House at Riverton and am hoping this one is as good...I will look for your review of both books :)

avisannschild on November 4, 2010 at 12:14 PM said...

I got The Distant Hours too, and I must admit I'd forgotten that I requested it! An Edible History of Humanity sounds really interesting -- I look forward to your review. Happy reading!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)