Mailbox Monday




This meme is hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page and Kristi at The Story Siren.






I received one book in the mail last week. The King's Mistress by Emma Campion arrived at my door and I started reading it right away. So far I'm enjoying this historical book; it's proving to be a good summer-y read. The book description from Amazon reads:

When had I a choice to be other than I was? From childhood Alice Salisbury has learnt obedience in all things and at fourteen dutifully marries the man her father has chosen for her - at the cost of losing for ever the love of her mother and the family she holds dear. But merchant Janyn Perrers is a good and loving husband and Alice soon learns to enjoy her marriage. Until a messenger brings news of his disappearance and she discovers that her husband had many secrets - secrets which have now put a price on her own head and that of her beloved daughter. Brought under the protection of King Edward III and Queen Philippa she must obediently embrace her fate once more - as a virtual prisoner at Court. And when the king singles her out for more than just royal patronage she knows she has little choice but to accept his advances. But obeying the king brings with it many burdens as well as pleasures, as she forfeits her good name to keep her daughter free from hurt. Still a young woman and guided by her intellect and good business sense, she learns to use her gifts as wisely as she can. But as one of the king's favourites she brings jealousy and hatred in her wake and some will stop at nothing to see her fall from grace.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying The King's Mistress as well.

cindysloveofbooks on July 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM said...

Enjoy the book Donna. I have been hearing some good things about it.

bermudaonion on July 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM said...

Looks like a good one - I'm glad to see you're enjoying it already!

Kaye on July 5, 2010 at 12:21 PM said...

Ooh, glad to hear it's good and that you are enjoying it. Have a great week!

Julie on July 5, 2010 at 12:28 PM said...

I want it! Must have it! Enjoy the read!

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

Beth(bookaholicmom) on July 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM said...

I received this as well and am looking forward to reading it.

Beverly on July 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM said...

Hey there – just swinging by for Monday to see what you are reading. Have a great week. Stop by The Wormhole to check out what I have gotten and what I have been reading too. Happy reading! Bev.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on July 5, 2010 at 11:14 PM said...

I've seen this one on several blogs. Looking forward to your review!

Staci on July 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM said...

I received this one too...can not wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading this tonight. My goodness, Alice Perrers lived a very full life!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)