The Canada Reads Winner!



From the Canada Reads website:

"Nicolas Dickner's first novel, Nikolski , was published in 2005 to rave reviews and went on to win Quebec's most prestigious literary awards, including the Prix des libraires du Québec, the Prix littéraire des collegians and the Prix Anne-Hébert. It also won France's Prix Lavinal Printemps des lecteurs.

To date, Nikolski has been published in five languages and seven countries. The English translation, by Lazer Lederhendler, was published in 2008 and won the Governor General's Award for French-to-English translation.

After studying visual arts and literature at university, Nicolas travelled extensively in Europe and Latin America, then settled in Montreal, which continues to be his home base.

In 2000 he published his first book, a collection of short stories entitled L'encyclopédie du petit cercle, which won two awards, including the Prix Adrienne-Choquette, given annually to the best collection of short fiction in French by a Quebec author.

Nicolas is also the author of Boulevard Banquise, a children's book, and a second short story collection, Traité de balistique, both published in 2006. He is currently a literary columnist for the Montreal cultural weekly Voir and is working on his next novel."
I recall Nikolski being offered last year on LibraryThing's early reviewer programme. I likely requested it, but I sure didn't get it. I'll be looking for it now though since it's been brought to my attention once again. On it goes to my gigantic TBR pile!

3 comments:

bermudaonion on March 17, 2010 at 7:17 AM said...

I'll be watching for reviews of this one.

Staci on March 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM said...

I've never heard of this one but I do hope you get a copy so that you can let me tell me more about it!

Laura at Library of Clean Reads on March 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM said...

Montreal has some really talented writers. I will add this one to my TBR list as well.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)