Review: DROOD by Dan Simmons




Thanks very much to Hachette for providing a copy of this book to review!

When I finished this book I looked around on the web for reviews. I read those of the professional reviewers and the bloggers and some from non-bloggers as well and I can tell you there’s quite a range of opinions. Some thought it too long and could use a strong editorial hand. Others said that the author fell victim to the habit of giving too much detail about the particular time period (in Drood’s case, Victorian England) as though every detail the author discovered during his research needed to be put in the book. Still others felt there were too many incidental side stories that had nothing to do with plot and so slowed the book down considerably.

I did not feel this way. I enjoyed the descriptions of Dickens’ house parties, the relationship between Charles Dickens and various other characters, including those with his wife and son-in-law, Wilkie Collins’ brother, Charley. I got to know Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins and a host of other people. And then there was the London undertown! (Did this place really exist?) Had the book been any shorter, I would not have had the same sense of atmosphere that pervaded the whole work, nor would I have enjoyed the contrast between the everyday life of the upper class and the horrors faced by the ‘Charles Dickens’ poverty-stricken lower class. It was immensely fascinating to read about the laudanum-addicted Wilkie’s movements between undertown and Charles Dickens country getaway.

This book showed me what a great story-teller Dan Simmons is. Rich in period detail with the right amount of creepiness, Drood was brilliant. Now, I’m well aware that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I couldn’t get enough of it and found it highly entertaining from the first page. It reminded me somewhat of Elizabeth Kostova’s The Historian, another book that many people thought should have been shorter but I was happy it wasn’t.

My only complaint with this book is the weight! The hardcover must weigh a good 3 pounds so think twice before taking it on the bus!

5 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea on February 4, 2010 at 8:44 AM said...

I've been trying to win a copy of this book. I so want to great it. I enjoyed your review. Thanks

cindysloveofbooks on February 4, 2010 at 9:36 AM said...

Great Review Donna. Glad you enjoyed the book. Can't wait to hear what you think of book two.

avisannschild on February 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM said...

Like Diane, I tried to win a copy of this book to no avail! Now that the paperback version is coming out, I'm hoping it weighs less than three pounds! Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

Cindy, there's a book 2?

bermudaonion on February 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM said...

I really enjoyed this book too and was fascinated with the underground and the widespread drug use.

Staci on February 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

I so loved your review. I'm rethinking my choice about not reading this because of its sheer size...maybe I'll wait until it comes out in paperback so it won't weigh as much!! LOL!! Truly sounds like you enjoyed it and I really liked The Historian, I just may have to pony up and read it!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)