Books On My Shelves


This week I found a book on my bookstore shelves called Two Murders in My Double Life by Josef Skvorecky. I've never seen or heard of this book before and it's not a new book (published in 1999) but it sounds interesting.


From the publisher's website:

In Josef Škvorecký's first novel written in English, the narrator lives in two radically dissimilar worlds: the exile world of the post-Communist Czech Republic where old feuds, treacherous betrayals, and friendships persevere; and the comfortable, albeit bland world of middle-class Canada. Murder intrudes upon both worlds. One features a young female sleuth, a college beauty queen, jealousy in the world of academia, and a neat conclusion. The other is a tragedy caused by evil social forces and philosophies, in which a web of lies insidiously entangles Sidonia, the narrator's wife. A brilliantly stylish tour de force in which the bright, sarcastic comedy of one tale sharply contrasts with the dark, elegiac bitterness of the other,Two Murders in My Double Life confirms Škvorecký's reputation as a versatile and engaging writer.

I like the idea that this book has humour mixed in with the murder plots. I don't especially like the publisher's description of middle-class Canada though! ;=)

4 comments:

bermudaonion on January 29, 2010 at 7:46 AM said...

That does sound like a good one!

Lucy on January 29, 2010 at 11:26 AM said...

That really is different!

Hey Donna, I just sent you an email...

Literary Feline on January 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM said...

That does sound interesting! I will have to look for it myself now.

Staci on January 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM said...

I hope you really enjoy this one!!!

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)