Review: HER FEARFUL SYMMETRY by Audrey Niffenegger



Twins Julia and Valentina inherit a London flat from an aunt they’ve never met. To satisfy their aunt’s last will they must live in it for one year before they can sell it. They settle in and discover London, their neighbours and the local cemetery which their flat abuts and which is where their aunt is interred.

Right away I have to say I enjoyed this book. It was well-written and the story of the twins and their forays into London pulled me right in. As a matter of fact I felt that London with its parks, hills and cemetery was a character in and of itself.

I loved the debut novel by Audrey Niffenegger, The Time-Traveler’s Wife, too, so I was a definitely a bit biased towards liking Her Fearful Symmetry and it didn’t disappoint. Like the first book, Her Fearful Symmetry also has an element of fantasy that is fully fleshed out and is an integral part of the plot.

I thought the story line took some time to evolve but it was done nicely and kept me interested and turning pages. I’ve seen other reviews which are somewhat negative in terms of the plot taking too long to get into but I didn’t have that problem at all. As a matter of fact I enjoyed reading it so much that that’s all I wanted to do – stay home and read this book. I kind of resented having to go into work. Don’t tell my boss.

4 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea on December 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM said...

I have not read Time Travelers Wife, but it did like this book (especially Martin). Great review.

Literary Feline on December 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM said...

This book really interests me and so I am glad to hear you enjoyed it, Donna. I haven't read The Time Traveler's Wife yet, just as Diane hasn't. I probably will get to this one first though as it appeals to me more. Thanks for your great review!

Staci on December 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM said...

I thought this was really good and totally different from her first one. I enjoyed it quite a bit but thought the twins connection/closeness was at times very creepy!!

bermudaonion on December 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM said...

I can't decide if I want to read this one or not since the reviews seem to be all over the place. I think I'll try The Time Traveler's Wife first.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)