Review: KITTY AND THE MIDNIGHT HOUR by Carrie Vaughn



Thanks to Miriam at Hachette for sending me this book to review!

This is the first book in the ‘Kitty’ series by Carrie Vaughn. The books I’ve read lately are a little topic-heavy so I was really anxious to start on something lighter and this fit the bill. I’ve not read a lot in the fantasy/paranormal genre but what I have read, I’ve enjoyed.

Kitty is a late night radio talk host and a werewolf. But she’s a good werewolf and does not randomly attack people – but focuses more on wildlife in the woods nearby her pack leader’s home and then only once per month during the full moon. This is the reason that working the night shift at the station suits her so well – she has a nightlife that beats all.

One evening, bored of the usual music, she starts taking calls about whether people believe in creatures such as vampires and werewolves. Suddenly her show is a hit, Kitty is a sensation and she’s got her hands full dealing with callers who have every conceivable question about the nature of the undead, not to mention people who are capable of transforming themselves into large furry animals with very sharp teeth. I know I would have a few questions.

Along with the sudden fame comes a whole host of other issues, however, and Kitty has to deal with an angry pack leader, a rogue werewolf, an secretive government agent as well as her own need to stretch her, uhm, claws, so that she can feel more comfortable in her own skin/fur.

The story is a very fast-paced, easy read. It’s got loads of action, a bit of gory violence and a touch of sex – so not for the younger set – but it wasn’t too over the top. It even had a few sad moments that I wish hadn’t happened, but I suppose you can’t have everything be peachy-keen. I also like that the author added a playlist of the songs she listened to as while writing the book and can see how Creedence Clearwater Revival’s song, ‘Bad Moon Rising’ would fit right in with Kitty and the Midnight Hour!

All in all I really enjoyed this first in the series book and I’m looking forward to reading the next one, Kitty Goes to Washington.

6 comments:

cindysloveofbooks on March 25, 2009 at 10:26 AM said...

Good Review Donna. My review is going to be up today. Do you mind if I link yours to mine?

Donna on March 25, 2009 at 11:36 AM said...

Thanks Cindy. Sure, link away!

bermudaonion on March 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM said...

Everyone seems to be enjoying these books.

Staci on March 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM said...

I loved your review. I think I'm going to read this series during my summer vacation, they sound like a blast!!

Literary Feline on March 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM said...

I am glad you enjoyed Kitty and the Midnight Hour. I really liked this one too. I hope you will enjoy the other books in the series as well.

Donna on March 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM said...

Bermuda - yes, they are fun.

Staci - thank you! They would be perfect for a summer beach read.

Literary Feline - I started the 2nd and it's just as much fun as the first - I really like reading series.

 

BookBound ♣ ♣ ♣ Mamanunes Templates ♣ ♣ ♣ Inspira��o: Templates Ipietoon
Ilustra��o: Gatinhos - tubes by Jazzel (Site desativado)